If your desired business destination seems more the sort of thing dreams are made of than the reality you’re living, this is for you.
Maybe you’re feeling stuck, unable to reach your destination. Maybe you’re stalling, then returning to a safe place rather than forging ahead. Maybe you’re going round and round in circles, forgetting where you’re heading.
You’ve probably heard the phrase, “begin with the end in mind” but aren’t sure what that looks like in your business. Well here are a few things it doesn’t look like:
- Feeling exhausted and overwhelmed.
- Working with clients who are a pain in the ass.
- Spending less time with people you love.
- Defending yourself to clients who don’t see the value in what you do.
- Working so much more for so much less.
- Struggling to find clients and projects.
- Lacking professional help and personal support.
- Being paid 1 way and 1 way only – for your time.
- Working for a business that isn’t paying you.
- All work and no play.
You know that the end you have in mind isn’t the vision of you standing there, wondering what it was all for. Yet there days when, after losing your drive, you’re standing there wondering where your business is heading and how you’ll make it there.
“We may be very busy, we may be very efficient, but we will also be truly effective only when we begin with the end in mind.” – Stephen R. Covey
So what’s the one simple step you can take to successfully guide your business to your desired destination?
Decide where you want to go.
Sounds almost too simple, doesn’t it? But with that one decision comes clarity, confidence and success. Decide where you would like to take your business, decide where your business will take you, just decide. Begin with the end in mind.
- Decide where you’ll go.
- Determine the ways to get there.
- Pick the “shortest” route based on your starting point and priorities (e.g. time, money, personal energy).
- Take the first step.
- Take the next step, then the next, again and again until you’re reached your destination.
Where do you want to go?
- What are your income goals?
- What are your sales goals?
- How many clients would you like to have?
- How many hours per week will you work?
- How much vacation time would you like?
What’s your vision for the business of your dreams? Begin with the end in mind. Decide.