What is “inspired goal setting” and why would you want to set inspired goals? Inspired goal setting is about where you want to go – where you really want to go in your life and business when you allow yourself the time and space to dream and dream big! So why do it? Well, how will you know if you’re heading in the right direction if you don’t know where it is you really want to go?
Inspired goal setting is not about to-do lists, project plans, action items, and tasks. Sure, these things are important and will come naturally as a result of the focus and clarity you’ll get from inspired goal setting. Let’s get started and get inspired so you can see for yourself.
- Find a quiet, comfortable, inspirational space and eliminate any distractions (such as your phone, email, etc.). Give yourself about 30 minutes to an hour for your inspired goal setting session.
- Have a pad of paper, something to write with, and get ready to dream-storm. Give yourself permission to dream and to dream BIG!! What do you desire in your life and in your creative business? Write it all down. What does your dream life look like? What does your dream business look like?
- Once you have your list, go back through and identify short-term goals versus long-term goals. Short-term meaning within the next year or so while long-term would be about 3-5 years out.
- Take all your short-term goals and rewrite them on a separate sheet of paper. For each goal, describe why it’s important to you. What will it allow you to be, do or have? What will your life or business look like? How will you feel?
- Repeat for long-term goals (e.g. have a sheet for 3 year goals and another for 5 year goals).
- Select your top 3 short-term goals for the year.
- What do you need to do to achieve these goals? What are the projects that will help you meet your goals? Break these down into quarterly, monthly and weekly goals.
- Of your top 3 goals for your business, which stirs up some excitement in you (it’s probably the one that feels exciting and a bit scary at the same time). It may also be a goal you’re been putting off because you’re unsure about how to do it or where to get help. Make this your #1 goal.
- Consider the easiest and fastest path to accomplishing this goal. What is the minimum you need to make it happen? Plan this week’s goals and action items around those activities.
“All you need is the plan, the road map, and the courage to press on to your destination.” – Earl Nightingale
You can go where you want to go in your life and business. It all begins with inspired goal setting. Set your goals, create your roadmap for success, and navigate towards your dream business!